Skip to main content

New Life

Today marks the beginning of a new adventure for our family. Our "little" family of five has instantly become a family of seven! Last night at 8:05 as the South West flight from Huston (via Denver) touched down, our lives changed. Tana and Grey have come to Sacramento to live with us as Tana goes back to school. We've painted her room and emptied it out of all our belongings trying to make a cozy place for her to call her own. For Grey and the children it is a bit of a different story. Grey (or affectionately called "Buggy" by his cousins) had his own room before and is now sharing with three cousins who love him too much for words. He's gone from being an only child to second youngest of four! I know this transition will be difficult for him, and we are going to do all we can to make the road smoother, but your prayers would be appreciated.
When I think about our day to day, lots of questions come up. But through all the questions comes a quiet and calm peaceful answer that families have been doing this for hundreds of years. We are no different than all the families that have come before us. Four children in one bedroom? For 90% of the world, it's done every day. They have to share their toys? ~gasp~ (they have more toys combined than should be legal!) We have to sacrifice our own personal comfort? ~bigger gasp~ These things should not be foreign to us, however they are... we live in a society that thinks we are crazy for having seven people in our humble three bedroom home. Maybe we are crazy, but I tend to think we will all be better in the process of learning how to deal with one another.
So please pray for us, not for "patience" or "transition" or "ease" but rather that Christ would transform us into who He wants us to be through this joy that is loving our family. I'll keep you updated as to how He is refining us!

Comments

Haley said…
I will be praying for you all as you adjust to find peace in your new lifestyle! You guys are such a blessing to open you home. How long will your "new family members" be living with you guys; I think you told me at one point but I can't remember?
Sarah said…
Miss Amy, you continue to amaze me every time I read your words of wisdom. I miss your sweet spirit with that awesome undercurrent of sarcasm. :) Aaron and I are starting to make some changes - simplifying to get out of debt and looking into a new career path for me - and I've been so unsettled about it b/c it means deciding to let go of my precious DVR and Blackberry and fancy salon shampoo and yada yada yada. Your blog today gave me another reminder that I don't NEED those things. They're nice to have but ultimately they are of this world are just not important. God will continue to bless your family and to use you to bless those around you! Thanks for sharing your stories!
Just stepping in to quietly whisper... I'm praying. This will be a beautiful time- you will look back with such fondness! I'm praying for peace, wisdom, and inspiration for those "close" moments. :)

(And may I recommend?) Edith Schaeffer's "What is a Family?" Chapter 5 (A Shelter in the Time of Storm) popped into my head when I read your post... this period of time is part of the whole of life... it's a portion of time that counts...

It's a wonderful read- if you have any spare time at all! :)

I send love, Amy!

Popular posts from this blog

An Exciting New Opportunity

  The year was 1995.  It was a time when big bangs and perms were on their way out, when music and fashion were in a very strange transition and these three high school students formed the bond of a lifetime. In the picture with my sister and me is a young woman named Yuka. She had come to our home on a one month stay two years prior. We enjoyed hosting her so much that my sister Alicia traveled the following summer to Yuka's house in Japan. We kept in touch through writing letters and sending care packages, so when Yuka expressed the desire to come to the United States and study with us for a year we jumped at the opportunity to host her again. She arrived for the school year in August and by May had bonded with our family in a significant way. Putting her on the plane to go home was a tearful event.   I've been reflecting on these experiences over the last few weeks because I recently took a job with  CETUSA . It will be my pleasure and joy to help host families like mine

Rena Moll; A Life Well Lived

October 4th, 2017 is a day that will be locked in my mind forever. The news   that my friend was gone didn't seem real. It seemed like a very bad dream and I wanted to wake up to find that it wasn't true. Even now, three months later, as life transitions into its new "normal" I find myself wondering how such a thing can happen. You can read about Rena's life here:  Obituary .  Rena had a deep and lasting impact on our community. I met Rena through school. Our kids went to Golden Eagle together. The very first time I met her I KNEW she was a dancer! It's something you can sense and see in her gracefulness and poise. My girls took classes with her for a semester when we first moved to Weed. Over the four years of knowing her I saw her love for Jesus shine through her love of dance. She never once shied away from sharing the gospel in her performances. As Grace began attending youth group, Rena and Danny were there making her feel welcome and included. At the f
Samuel is finally here. He was born on September 5 at 3:18am. Amy labored for 3 hours and had one good push, and there he was. Both Amy and Sam are doing great! Grace is very happy to be a big sister and Noraa has kind of noticed he's here. We've had lots of visitors and everyone is so excited that he's a boy. It seems like a lot of friends had been hoping that he would be a boy. I would have been glad either way, but I am definitely looking forward to the Father/Son experience. The other thing that people comment on the most is his name. He has 4 names including 35 letters! Samuel is one of our favorite Bible characters. He responded when the Lord called his name, and he also anointed King David. Harrison is a family name. My cousin Brooke had a son named Harrison who was born with Spina Bifida , and spent his life in a wheelchair. He was a major blessing and inspiration to our family and everyone who knew him. He was extremely smart and I can't really say enough he